Tuesday, May 17, 2011

5/17/2011

Okay so two days of training down, paperwork, uniform ordering and vehicle swapping.
So I can't exactly show anyone where I work just yet because I have been and will be at headquarters this whole week which is over 90 miles away from where I work! But I can show you my cabin!
That is my cabin. There are 3 of them and they each have two twin beds, two night stands and a dresser with some other odds and ends. I live in number 1 by myself. Two Biologist's live in number 2 and number 3 is empty and locked with a dead battery in the smoke detector and it chirps all night long.





That is the inside of my room. A little messy but I just moved in so back off.



My truck is starting to fit in up here... one thing is for sure I do not stand out anymore as a girl driving a truck. I would probably stand out more if I drove a car! It is also filthy... which fits in even better.




The first picture is the town of Tok, AK. I live in Northway which is a native Athabascan village (do not call them Eskimos). Tok is actually the 4th largest city in Alaska behind Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau and that is really not saying much... its small compared to anything we know. Northway consists of the cabins I live in which are owned by the gov't, a gas station, a troopers office, a post office and the Village. Tetlin NWR is actually pretty interesting... it is 923,000 acres but technically only about 700,000 is actual refuge land. The rest is either owned by private owners, native Athabascans and the Alaska Company. The refuge, mainly set aside for migrations, is also set aside for subsistence hunting for the natives. Super interesting. On that note, I had moose today for the first time ever, fried up with some seasoning, onions and a bit of mushrooms (ate around those) over rice and it was AMAZING!

I am planning on going to Chickenstock in Chicken, AK which is a huge music festival up here. I am also registering to run the Midnight Sun Run in Fairbanks- it is a 10k. I just need to get out running but they are doing some heavy road construction in this area right now and the gravel is rough. I also plan on buying a mountain bike around my first or second paycheck and get a little action that way!

Quote of the day:
Teddy: "Yeah the coldest i can remember is about -76 degrees."
Me: "Oh my god! What did you do?"
Teddy: "Let the dogs in."

Scenic shots of the area I work in:





No comments:

Post a Comment